Vintage Typewriter Ads

Having just read this rather depressing piece on what may become the future of funding for writers--and having been firmly told, "There will be no books in six years! Just get over it!"--well, I thought I could use some cheering. 

So,  here you are: vintage ads for typewriters.

They will all enlarge when you click on them.

Enjoy!



Whoa there, Mad Men era. A typewriter designed to protect one's manicure.



"It's the in thing with teenagers who want to swing college!"



Clearly I did not compile these statistics. 

They "anticipate every demand of every user"? Really? I'd like a macchiato, please.
Apparently the typewriter is now mightier than the sword.
And here's my favorite: too hungover to type? Want to have a drinking problem and a job? Try this quiet typewriter!

I should give credit where credit is due. This all started with this image:


From this interview.

7 comments:

Carrie C said...

"Do Parties and a Job Mix?" Priceless!!

About that Slate article though, my hope springs eternal. I'd really like think that if there are people who want to read books, and people who are willing to contribute to advances for books, there will be people who understand that buying books is essential and resist obtaining pilfered works. (I don't care if that's naive, I will persist in believing it :) And will keep buying books.)

Franziska said...

I recently cleared out my mum's garage and she had an old electric typewriter. It had a tiny little screen where you could see about five words at a time, with the idea that you could at least edit those five words before they printed. It was like a nearly-word processor but not quite. I wanted to keep it. One day, it'll be considered a unique antique, I'm sure of it!

Franziska said...

I recently cleared out my mum's garage and she had an old electric typewriter. It had a tiny little screen where you could see about five words at a time, with the idea that you could at least edit those five words before they printed. It was like a nearly-word processor but not quite. I wanted to keep it. One day, it'll be considered a unique antique, I'm sure of it!

adam.purple said...

These are great! They remind me of typing on my father's old--and enormously heavy--Underwood. Thanks!

Mindy McGinnis said...

That's an alarming thought, patronage. So much of putting together a good patronage pitch depends on your personality rather than your writing ability. If that became the only system, our talented introverted writers are screwed.

Rowenna said...

Looks like I need a Remington Noiseless--it promised I'll be "full of pep" once the workday is over! Who couldn't use pep? I love these--so interesting to see what advertisers thought would appeal to consumers--especially women.

Colin Smith said...

"There will be no books in six years"?? They were saying that 20 years ago. :)