Field Trip to Borders

So. I had to go see the carnage.

It's hard to believe that, a little more than a year ago, Suzanne Collins signed copies of Mockingjay in this very spot (well, against the now-red wall):

They repainted.
Note the "ALL SALES FINAL" sign. And the sales tags on all of the cases.

Those racks were filled with CDs, and yes, people were queued up around them. 

And yes, that's where I was told to put away my recording device. Ah, memories. 

Though the books were pretty picked-through--there were only a few left--I did walk away with one of these: 


I've always wanted one. 

With a bath and some new paint (I'm thinking a sassy, shiny red--just on the grey parts), it'll be good as new. 

4 comments:

Amy Armstrong, MS, NCC said...

It's important to have mementos ;-)

Don said...

Hey...GK...looks like you're moving UP in the world, huh? True story: I actually bought four bookcase units for my drama dept. to use in my original play this fall from Borders. It was very sad to see everything go like that. I spent a lot of time there too. Not in your store. Don't worry. I wasn't stalking you. :) I'm glad I have a momento now too. I like your color scheme. You'll have to show us the finished product!

Sarah J Schmitt said...

Don't forget to post the after picture of your find! Isn't it funny the things that we want? I would love to have picked up one of their bookshelves... even though I have no where to put it.

Jen Daiker said...

I walked through the one here in Houston just a few days ago. It was EMPTY. Lucky for me I walked away with several goodies for under $30... but it was also sad. Boo. I suppose we'll go with 'New Beginnings'