YPG on a Boat--BEA Party #1

You wouldn't know from looking that it's so toxic. The Hudson (near Manhattan, at least--probably not so much up north) is rumored to dissolve people upon entry, turn the birds that survive green, and have as many shoes as DSW--most of them cement. (Of course, I learned all of this after taking advantage of Downtown Boathouse's free kayak-on-the-Hudson program. Amazingly, I survived.)

Last night, YPG (Young Publishing Group) rented a portion of the Frying Pan, a docked boat that was once underwater. It still has a number of its original trappings--guests can wander through its gear and former boiler rooms, check out the captain's lair, and pound on a piano whose keys have seen too many sodas. Downstairs, in what looks like it used to hold a number of hammocks (I could be totally making this up--but it's a round room with two windows), there's a central bar with a tiny European waitress. The number one boat drink: Corona buckets. Eww. G&t for me.

And it was docked--secured well to another barge--but, my goodness, did it sway. My group of 5-7 agents all felt ill, or at least dizzy, at first--I'd made the very bad decision to wear tall shoes made of cork ("At least, if you fall in, the cork will float," one of the male agents helpfully suggested), and the stairs were rickety at best. I'm surprised there weren't more wipe-outs--there were definitely a lot of scared-looking young women in very impractical shoes.

So, picture it, if you will: forty or fifty publishing people, trying to drink and stand up straight, while seeking editors and agents with overlapping interests as the Hudson lapped (well, splashed) below.

Amazingly, it was a rather pleasant experience. The weather was gorgeous--and the company, pleasant. After the requisite Titanic jokes, the conversation was zippy and clever.

There was also some good gossip. Apparently a new work, called Room, is all set to be the biggest thing since sliced Lovely Bones bread. (Snarky fought off other BEA-ers for an ARC.) And, as you may have heard from Suzie Townsend's blog, You is also poised to be pretty darned amazing. (Or annoying: it does have a cover filled entirely with praise.)

More news as I receive it. Over and out.

13 comments:

~Jamie said...

HAHA OKay, so I am just picturing you falling in, and being SUPER annoyed with your floating shoes as you doggie paddle to shore.

I'm a bad friend. :)

Agency Gatekeeper said...

Happily, 1) that didn't happen--or I'd be in the ER, not blogging, today! and 2) they were held on by gold silk--I would have simply tugged on the bows and they would have come off. Then I could have used them as floaties.

M. Gray said...

Question to you--was the token male agent cute? :)

Agency Gatekeeper said...

I'll neither confirm nor deny that, M. Gray. :)

Lindsay said...

Sounds like fun - minus the seasickness, that is. Next time, just be sure to take your cocktail to the side of the boat that boasts the most flotation devices hitched to the side. That way if you fall in, you've got a better chance of avoiding 1. drowning and 2. infection due to toxic water
:-)

Ally said...

Sounds like some fantastic reads are coming up - yes, please do keep us informed.

And my father told absolutely horrid tales of the Hudson on many occasions. I suspect your cork and ribbon wedges would have disintegrated. Sad. I hate to imagine the death of cute shoes.

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

Leave it to Melissa (M. Gray) to ask the important questions. ;)

I'm bartending on a friend's boat party this weekend and I need a pair of those cork and gold silk shoes!

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes at BEA info.

Agency Gatekeeper said...

To Ally: that was regarding the shoes going "poof!" in the water.

Of course I'll let you know if I hear anything. :)

Agency Gatekeeper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
:) said...

"and pound on a piano whose keys have seen too many sodas."

Beautiful prose as always, GK, but who is in charge of this poor, neglected piano?

They can always send it to me if they no longer care for it.

:)

Agency Gatekeeper said...

I believe, :), that the boat owns it. Normally the downstairs is a club--ie, too loud for a piano sing-a-long. Sad.

M. Gray said...

I KNEW it!!

Agency Gatekeeper said...

I just realized some of you might have thought Snarky was the token male agent. Snarky was off doing something when this exchange happened--probably chatting with the bartender about craft ales. And yes, that means there were at least two publishing men on this boat. There were probably about five or six total...