They've predicted thunderstorms--great ones that shake the city, flood the streets, and interrupt work with booms and flashes. I'm delighted, and not just because I love the image--which I applied recently to a genius editor--of minds working so powerfully that lightning strikes the building (it's aliiiiiiiive!). I'm from California, where humidity is something that exists mainly in refrigerator veggie bins--and, as a result, such storms are relatively rare--and, therefore, very exciting. Now, when I know a storm's coming, I run up to a tall hill in Brooklyn, where I can see the flashes over Manhattan, feel the wind pick up--and hear the rain roll in. (And, no, I don't sit under tall trees or power lines, and am indoors by the time it really hits.)

I'm sure you've been hearing a lot about BEA--that great meeting of book minds. What they don't tell you is that the Javits Center is a good twenty minute walk from the nearest subway. The center is mind-blowingly enormous and mostly windowless--and I can't help but have visions of the power going out, and thousands of book people rushing about with iPads, our digital reading lighting our way.

If that happens, assuming 3G service is intact, you'll be the first to know.

6 comments:

Matthew Rush said...

That was a crazy but hilarious image. Thank you.

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

I concur with Matthew.

Take pics if the power goes out! :)

:) said...

Do yourself a favor: get a camera with a manual shutter speed and a $20 tripod. A remote shutter operator doesn't hurt, either. Cheap one works great.

Wait till dark in lightning storm. Hold shutter open till strike in view of camera. Close shutter.

Viola! You're a photographic genius! Digital is great because if you get tired of holding the shutter open it doesn't use up any film.

Enjoy!

:)

Agency Gatekeeper said...

Actually, :), I do have a picture like that--from college. I was sitting under the eaves of the campus tea house (it was adorable--like a little stone cabin perched on a hill--and, on cold days, they'd have a fire in the fireplace) and using my knees as tripod. I have one picture of how dark it was--and one during which lightning flashed--and it looks almost like (purplish) daytime. I'll see if I can find it...

Agency Gatekeeper said...

And, obviously, the photos here are from my camera phone. I saw an ad recently that said, "If you can make calls with it, it's not a phone." I'm inclined to agree; that said, with my other camera (and all its manual settings), I feel like a jerk for taking forever to set up shots. With my phone's point-and-shoot, I get to feel like I have a spy cam--one that can wirelessly upload pics immediately.

Agency Gatekeeper said...

Oops! The ad said "If you can make calls with it, it's not a camera."