Synchronicity--in slush, blogging, e-mail and Snarky

Just as I was posting that last bit about Snarky, I received a note from him:

Hey, someone's life just got turned upside down in my query pile. First one today...

(This refers to this post, paragraph three.)

And then, a moment later:

I also just had someone compare her life dancing salsa to EPL.

And it made me wonder--I know a number of agents. And I have a very full, searchable database for queries. Synchronicity is frequent--one week, we received three stories of 10-year-old girls in 1940s Florida; we also, once, received two manuscripts set in 1800s Ireland--within an hour of each other (and this was back when we got real mail! Thanks, Fed Ex!).

If you could know any easily searchable, quantifiable statistic about the queries we receive--what would you want to know? Anything search term-able and not ethically questionable is a possibility.

I'm meeting with some agents tonight--and, if there are any easily pitch-able suggestions, will see if I can bribe any (with cookies, books, sugar, caffeine, drinks) to search their inboxes and take part as well.

Send me your ideas ASAP--happy hour's at 6:30 GST.1


____________________
1 Gatekeeper Standard Time--EST but cooler.)

5 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

Oh, you know I love quantifiable statistics. Do we get a pie chart out of this information?

I would love to see how many queries reference the big books, like Harry Potter, Twilight, EPL, etc, when doing comparisons.

What percentage of queries refer to a book as "fiction novel"?

How many times do queries refer to themselves as a bestseller (or similar adjective)?

How many queries mention that the book would make a great movie?

Clippership said...

Average ages of protagonists; magical portals; most frequently mentioned paranormal or magical creatures; angsty teens; queries that start off with the book blurb versus queries that start off with word count, genre, etc. versus queries that begin with the author bio.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

I wish I knew the statistic for queriers who do the research and "get it" vs. those who clearly don't.

I also wish I knew the number of YA paranormal protagonists with an obvious name, like Gabriel Fallenangel and Lupe Lycanthrope. And then the female MC is like, OMIGAH, IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

:) said...

Totally late but how many dragons land in your query pile?

(Bet you knew I was going to ask that. :)

Watery Tart said...

I'm a MAJOR data geek. I think it would be nice to have a database that stats could be run on that included:

*genre,
*wordcount,
*publishing history (with just a yes, novels, yes-other, including shorts and non-fiction, and nothing substantial or related)
*the agency decision (yes full, yes partial, no but with feedback, form no)

THEN (because I'm greedy): I would LOVE a database of people SIGNED with
*which # query this was and
*how many revisions of query and book were required before acceptance.
*plus same info in the other

I KNOW only what 10% get requests for more, 1% or less signed, BUT, I'd bet closer to 30% eventually get revised and redone enough that they are finally taken (but that is a GUESS--I want to KNOW)

You put that together and I'd be HAPPY to run a little report for you a couple times a year!