Gatekeeper gets Punk'd

So I sent a very nice writer back for revision. We had a phone meeting a few days ago to discuss the finer points, and then I get this email today:

So I've begun going through the manuscript again and made a few changes I thought you should know about. First of all, I've turned [character] into a Vampire. Only he's a vampire that drinks urine, not blood. I thought that might be a good twist on the whole Twillight thing, sell a few more copies that way.

I assure you, Gatekeeper was making very unkind expressions at the computer, trying to think of the politest way to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!--accompanied by a shrieking run down the hallway, and perhaps a .mp4 of frightened editorial noises.

Quite thankfully, the next line was:


Okay, I'm totally kidding. Couldn't resist.


Man oh man.

16 comments:

Snarky Agent-man said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Love it.

Gwen Hayes said...

That is totally funny.

Lindsay N Currie said...

Too funny. Wish we could have seen your face!

Holly said...

That is too funny.

Agency Gatekeeper said...

It was pretty cartoonish, Lindsay. Imagine bugged/scared eyes, furrowed brows, and a mouth like :-/

So, I guess, >8-/

But scarier.

Lindsay Currie said...

Getekeeper, not sure I can imagine your face looking particularly scary:-) I can buy into the cartoonishly frantic image though! Had the sweating already started by the time you noticed it was a joke?

Tahereh said...

ditto Snarky Agent-man

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa

The Alliterative Allomorph said...

LOL that's hilarious!

Agency Gatekeeper said...

Lindsay: um, yes. I could *feel* my adrenaline. Or maybe that was the iced coffee kicking in.

Ally said...

Third, Snarky Agent-man.

I don't know who the writer is, but I'm officially in crush with him or her. Loved it.

Lindsay Currie said...

Yes, iced coffee can have a profound effect on one's nerves (as I sit in front of the computer shaking like a chihuahua after a large, skim afternoon treat). Good to know your client has such an awesome sense of humor- should make for a fun long-term relationship.

:) said...

Whew! For a moment there I thought someone had the same brilliant plot twist idea that I had for my WIP.

(Kidding!)

That's a good one.

Writer: 1
GK: 0

What're you gonna do to get'er back? :)

Dawn Hullender said...

This just serves as proof that agents ARE in fact human and are prey to the same basic emotional instincts as the rest of us humans. :D

Lol, seriously, this was great. From a writer's POV, you agents are scary, so it took some major brass to punk you.

Jonas Samuelle said...

(ScoffsO So that's why you rejected my urine-drinking vampire novel!
Oh well. On to the YA about Jesus as a teenage pop-star trying to get out of his father's shadow.
;)
-Colin Hill

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Seriously funny!

Claire Dawn said...

Hilarious! Adding this to my bag of tricks for future agent :)