Your mailing address
Your email address
Dear [Name of agent, spelled correctly--you will look very silly if you write "Dear Sir/Madam" or, worse, "Dear Sirs"--most agents are female]:
[Introductory line that proves research]:
1. I am writing to you at the suggestion of [Name of agent’s client].
2. I am writing because I love that you said _________ on your Web site/because you represent ___________.
3. I am writing to you because of your interest in [description of your work]
[Line that launches into your story, followed by a paragraph describing your concept.]
1. Robert though he had it all figured out.
2. It wasn’t every day that Jeffrey Humpheldorpher found himself barreling through a window.
[Expand on your concept for another short paragraph]
[State your degree, if applicable, and your publishing credits/experience/honors—always italicize]:
I am a graduate of Fordham’s MFA program. My work has appeared in The New York Times, McSweeney’s, and Glimmer Train.
[A cordial closing, such as, "I look forward to hearing from you."]